What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
Public Works
Ph: (262) 242 -3720

After Hours
Ph: (262) 242-2100

First, take action to protect people and valuable property. Ceramic plumbing fixtures such as toilets are fragile, quickly close all drain openings with stoppers or plugs.

Tub, sink, and floor drains may need additional weight to keep them sealed. A string mop can be used to help plug toilet openings.

Don’t run any water down your drains until the blockage has been cleared.

A quick check with nearby neighbors will help determine if the backup appears to be in your neighbor’s wastewater line, and/or widespread in your neighborhood. In this case, call the Department of Public Works immediately.

Call a plumber if the problem is in your lateral service line.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
2. What will the Village do about a sewer backup onto my property?
3. Will my insurance cover any damage to my home or property?